European gas demand is set to increase by 6% year on year in 2016, reaching some 447.1 billion cubic meters.
This rise is partly due to increased demand for gas in power generation following signs of revival in industrial activity, as well as greater use of gas in transport, the European gas wholesale, retail and distribution sectors association Eurogas said in a recent report.
Electricity demand in Italy accounted for 26.3 GWh in September, down by 0.7% year on year, Italian power grid operator Terna said. Some 89% of the electricity consumed was generated domestically, while the remaining 11% was imported from foreign markets.
National production stood at 23.6 GWh in September, increasing by 1.4% year on year.
The International Energy Agency (IEA) has revised up its renewable capacity growth forecast, with global renewable electricity capacity now expected to increase by 42%, or 825 GW by 2021. That's 13% than what previously forecast, reaching a 28% share of the electricity generation mix by the end of the five-year period.
Aluminium of Greece has signed a long-term electricity supply agreement with Public Power Corporation (PPC), ending a long-running dispute between one of the country's biggest energy consumers and its dominant electricity producer.
A consortium formed by Italian grid operator Terna and Italian infrastructure fund F2i SGR has submitted a binding offer for the acquisition of a 24% stake in Greek grid operator ADMIE.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) is providing a long term loan of up to PLN 320 million (€75 million equivalent) for the conversion of a combined heat and power plant in Krakow into a gas-fired unit.
Finnish marine and energy solutions provider Wartsila has signed a contract with independent oil and gas company Imetame Energia for the construction of the 28 MW UTE Prosperidade I gas-fired power plant in Brazil.
Finnish marine and energy solutions provider Wartsila is progressing construction of three new LNG-powered vessels commissioned by Canada's ferry services company BC Ferries, with delivery of the first vessel expected by the end of the year, Wartsila said.
Natural gas demand in Italy posted a strong year on year increase in September, rising by 13% to 4.6 million cubic meters. That was mostly due to a sharp rise in demand for power generation, which was up by 21.1% year on year at 2.2 million cubic meters, Italian gas and power exchange operator, Gestore Mercati Energetici said.
Italy's Enel, through its subsidiary Enel Green Power North America, has started construction of a 300 MW wind farm in the US. The wind power installation is located in Rock Creek, Missouri and will be able to generate some 1,250 GWh per year of electricity, equivalent to the annual consumption of more than 100,000 american households, the company said.
A ministerial meeting with representatives from over 70 countries was hosted on October 18 and 19 by Morocco, ahead of the COP22 Marrakech Climate Change Conference, which will run from November 7 to 18.
Italian cable and wires manufacturer La Triveneta Cavi has inaugurated a new factory in Moldova's Straseni industrial park, following a €24 million investment supported by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
The new factory will produce low- and middle-voltage electrical cables for use in buildings, industrial processes, power distribution, telecommunications and data transmission.
Italian gas infrastructure operator Snam and car makers IVECO and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles have signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the development of natural gas as car fuel. This market is worth some Eur1.7 billion in Italy, with one billion vehicles currently in circulation which consumed 1 billion cubic meters of gas in 2015.
The president and CEO of Qatar Petroleum, and chairman of Qatargas, Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi concluded this week a series of meetings in Japan with senior executives of major Japanese energy companies. The visit was "designed to follow up on all issues that relate to the existing cooperation and business relationships and ways to enhance them" the company said.
Development of the Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP) is progressing without delays, and first gas is still expected to be delivered to the European market by 2020, Azerbaijan's energy minister Natig Aliyev said.